Saturday, November 21, 2009

fall harvests

The satsuma orange tree in our backyard is ridiculously overloaded with oranges. Last year, during hurricane Ike, a large branch bearing dozens of oranges got destroyed. This year, the tree produced with a vengeance. This is what we get to enjoy each day. The best tasting fruit, as well as juice, ever ....
My favorite fall vegetable is squash, any kind. Got some growing in the garden, but this is spagetti squash I bought at the store. Fix it like this for a seriously delicious dish (Grandpa and I like it even better than real spaghetti.)
  • Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise (easier to cut with a rocking motion of the knife). Scoop out any seeds.
  • Cook in the microwave (or you could bake it, but would take longer) cut side down (I put it down on a sheet of parchment paper), for 13min. or til tender -- it won' t get mushy (test by poking it with a fork).
  • When done, rake it (lengthwise) with a fork , and it will automatically produce these spaghetti like strands.
  • While squash is cooking, prepare the sauce. For just the two of us, I browned up 1 gourmet chicken/ spinach/feta sausage (you could crumble up some tofu, or a bit of lean hamburger, or whatever), with diced garlic. Add a lo-salt pasta sauce or marinara. For a really great taste and lowest sodium, I used Classico "Spicy Red Pepper" Pasta Sauce. (only 300 mgs. of salt). It has just the right amount of zip from the red peppers. Enjoy! It is soooo good and you feel so healthy after eating it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

looks yummy!

Courtney said...

Everything looks so good! Infact it was so good that I had to make me some spagetti squash tonight!

Lauren said...

those oranges are so good! and i'm glad you posted the spagetti squash recipe. i need to try it.

Jessica said...

the orange juice was very good.