Friday, December 4, 2009

it's that time of year again!

The last of the Thanksgiving turkey is in the soup pot, and this Grammy is left with memories of another Thanksgiving come and gone.
One thing I'll never forget are the rolls that were almost a disaster. There was an unlabeled plastic bag of canning salt in the cupboard next to the sugar canister (I won't tell who was responsible for that, but it wasn't me).
While mixing up my traditional holiday rolls, I ran out of sugar, and replenished the canister from that plastic bag (it looked just like sugar). I was wondering why the sugar wasn't dissolving as it usually does while on the stove top with the butter and milk...wondering why the dough seemed a bit weird.
While stirring the sugar, butter, milk mixture for the next batch of dough, and noticing the sugar still wasn't dissolving, I stuck my finger in the sugar clumped on the bottom of the pan. YUCK! Then I tasted the first batch of dough. DOUBLE YUCK! Tasted worse than the Dead Sea. My taste buds were ruined for the rest of the day. . That canning salt is powerful stuff. Luckily this happened early enough in the day, so I was able to start all over again, and was very thankful I did a taste test. It took a while for my taste buds to forgive me for that one.We had a houseful of little cousins having so much fun together and creating memories. Their laughter and chatter fills the house. They get along so well. The only crying is when someone gets hurt or a baby is tired.


Today, I'll put up the Christmas tree. What a day to do it! This morning, deep in the heart of Texas, the rain turned to snow ... for about an hour the biggest, fattest flakes came tumbling down. It stopped for awhile and now snow flurries are coming down again... freezing temps. tonight.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

your soup looks good. Thanksgiving was fun and all your food was very yummy, especially the rolls.

Lauren said...

i am very thankful you saved the rolls! they are my favorite part of the meal. your rolls are always sooo yummy!

Laurie said...

Didn't look like anyone was watching the movie!