Tuesday, August 21, 2012

renewal

Last week we attended four zone conferences. We love zone conferences since we get to see all our missionaries and get our batteries re-charged by the inspiring words of our mission president, his wife, and others. Each morning, while Elder Ellis (Carl, Grandpa, or Dad) helped check the mission cars, I was setting up my missionary "shop", with all the clothes missionaries going home give to us. I don't know how we packed it all in our car.   The missionaries were excited to select clothes they needed (wish I had taken a photo of that).  We managed to get rid of 2/3 of everything. Most of the  leftovers went to Goodwill today.

And here is part of a  talk by our awesome mission president, Jack Christianson ---


After one zone conference, we stopped off at the Sacred Grove to enjoy the summer beauty.

The beauty continues as we walk out of the grove.

Walking down the path towards the Joseph Smith Log home, we see the beautiful Palmyra Temple.

Summer is is full bloom at the Smith log home.


We finished up the day at the Hill Cumorah, where we hiked through the ancient part of the forest to the 240 year old sugar maple tree (a "witness" tree) that our mission president calls the "Moroni" tree.
We feel so blessed to be serving a mission in such a beautiful place that has such significance in our church's history -- the cradle of the Restoration. There is a very strong spirit in these special places. Our love  for the Savior grows even stronger with each day. This is a wonderful opportunity to be of service to show gratitude in a small way for all He has blessed us with.
Moroni tree and I
(And where else would I want to do a photo shoot with a tree?)

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Hi Carl and Nancy,
I just found out how to reach you from Deena Brown. She told me how much she enjoyed reading your blog. I can see why. You have a great way with words Nancy and I enjoy viewing your pictures as well. A lot has happened since you left on your mission. Sonja had a very rare tumor and almost died. I went up to New Mexico to help care for her children for 5 months. Sonja's tumor was removed in May and she is doing great. Our missionary papers had been submitted to the stake president before we learned of Sonja's tumor. We postponed our interview and were finally able to see the stake president on Tuesday, July 28. Yesterday we received our call to the Canada Vancouver mission. We will be doing member and leader support. We report to the MTC on Monday, Oct. 1, 20012. We are really excited to get on our mission. I am glad you and Carl are enjoying your mission. Take care of yourselves and keep writing.
Sharyn