Tuesday, February 23, 2010

These eyes!



With these eyes, I watched Neil Armstrong take mankind's  first steps on the moon. On that muggy night in July 1969, we huddled around our black and white T.V. set. I was a college student home for the summer. It was an incredibly magic moment, when the impossible became a reality.

With his eyes, he looked upon the dark, rough terrain of the moon. From where he stood, feet firmly planted in moon dust, he saw the earth, a perfect blue ball that could fit in the palm of his hand.
When I went in for my annual eye exam yesterday, I found out that Neil Armstrong and I have something in common!  Our eyes!  Every year, Dr. Bruce Cline is amazed that I don't need reading glasses, that my eyes can still focus on the printed page unaided. He said, "I don't think you realize what an unusual thing this is for someone your age (62)". He went on to say that in all his years of practice he had only one other patient with eyes like mine -- Neil Armstrong! I guess I should feel honored. "Do I get some sort of award for this?" I asked him. "Well, maybe I'll just brag about it on my blog," I told him. 

No comments: