How many of my generation suffered psychological damage because of this elementary school Valentine's Day traditon?
Shortly before Valentine's Day, a large, decorated box magically appeared on the teacher's desk. We could hardly concentrate on our school work, anticipating the day when each child would recieve his/her share of the cards that were placed in the box throughout the week. Back in the 1950's we weren't told we had to give a card to every kid in the class. We made one out for the teacher, and then only to the kids we "liked". Kids nervously chewed on their pencil erasers as the teacher slowly walked up and down the aisles, doling out the precious cards.
Would I be one of the "popular", or at least "liked" kids? I knew that the pretty girl with the curly blond hair, saddle shoes, and full, swishy skirt, supported by layers of starched petticoats, would get the most cards. Where did I stand? Would I get enough cards so I wouldn't feel like a reject? Somehow I did, and I could hold my head up high. But I felt guilty stealing a glance at a sullen boy hanging his head over two or three cards.
Many years later, I breathed a big sigh of relief when my first kindergartener came home with a note telling parents to make out valentine's cards for all the kids in her class. Times had changed for the better in that respect.


2 comments:
Now it's even easier for kids, the boys just have to sign their name on the back of the cards and make sure they have enough for everyone in the class, they don't have to address them to anyone. I noticed that the valentines I bought for the boys no longer have envelopes with them. I think when I was in school they did.
wow. i'm glad it's not like that anymore!
Post a Comment